By D. Scott Peterson
My weekly talking points are snippets of ideas that are pertinent to today’s markets. They come from my readings, American history background, and from 30 years’ experience trading and investing in the American Capital Markets. They are designed to help you improve your investing decisions and get beyond the flood of information (we call this noise) from the media, most of which is counterproductive. Review these periodically, they will help improve your investment choices.
1. The stock market has pulled back about 10-12% from the highs this summer, and has successfully tested that level twice.
2. Each time this happens, there is a greater chance that this level will hold.
3. However, we don’t think that means the market will take off and make new highs in the short term.
4. The likely course is that we will stay in trading range until we get more evidence on how the economy is doing.
5. Volatility will continue as the news flow will be typically unsettling.
6. Ignore the negative short term news. It is often incoherent and self-serving.
7. Make sure your investments reflect your goals and are consistent with your longer term plan.
8. There is always a bull market somewhere.
9. Our research team knows what’s working. We’ll make sure your investments are too.
10. Our first goal is to manage risk, the second is to help increase your wealth.
The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations of any particular security, strategy or investment product for any individuals. Information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable but not guaranteed. To determine which investment(s) may be appropriate for you, consult your financial advisor prior to investing.