By D. Scott Peterson
My weekly talking points are snippets of ideas that are pertinent to today’s markets. They come from my readings, American history background, and from 30 years’ experience trading and investing in the American Capital Markets. They are designed to help you improve your investing decisions and get beyond the flood of information (we call this noise) from the media, most of which is counterproductive. Review these periodically, they will improve your investment choices.
1. We all know the news flow-both financial and general - is overwhelming and alarming.
2. The media broadcasts alarm and negative news to attract viewers, raise ratings and sell advertising.
3. This promotes a sense of unease and anxiety among listeners.
4. It leads many to believe that things are worse than they actually are.
5. This is a phenomenon that is unique in American history.
6. 24 hours, 7 days a week, global news coverage is unprecedented.
7. The financial news works the same way.
8. What you hear is a cacophony of mostly sharply divergent opinions of the financial markets.
9. Don’t listen to this and try to make sense out of it because it often doesn’t make any sense.
10. At PWM, we understand all this and have years of experience filtering this information into a coherent narrative so that we can formulate successful strategies for our clients.
The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations of any particular security, strategy or investment product for any individuals. Information contained herein has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable but not guaranteed. To determine which investment(s) may be appropriate for you, consult your financial advisor prior to investing.